Please see below a list of internship requirements that all of our interns must meet in order to qualify for our internship program at Heart & Health. The requirements on our site are in keeping with the New York State Department of Labor Law Guidelines (see attached).
- The training, even though it includes actual operation of the facilities of the employer, is similar to training that would be given in an educational environment.
Heart and Health Medical Internships are structured around classroom instruction, and provides skills that would be applicable in multiple employer settings. For example, all medical interns will be supervised with certified medical assistants and have a weekly meeting with a doctor or physician assistant. In addition, they will be observing the provider and medical staff throughout the day. All medical interns will also suggest or be given a research topic and complete a research paper at end of their internship program.
- The training we provide is for the benefit of the intern.
Any benefit conferred upon the company providing the internship must be merely incidental to the benefits provided to the intern. In some cases, the receipt of academic credit for participating in the training program, for example, demonstrates evidence of the beneficial nature of the program to the intern.
- Our interns do not displace regular employees and any work they may do is under close supervision.
Interns will not be used in lieu of hiring new employees. We maintain close and constant supervision of the intern by regular employees, emphasizing the educational nature of our program.
- Heart and Health, PLLC provides the training and derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the interns or students and, on occasion, operations may actually be impeded.
This criterion helps to ensure the beneficial nature of our program to the intern. Any advantage that we may derive from the intern’s participation in our internship program should be purely incidental to the supervision and training provided.
- Our Interns are not entitled to a job at the conclusion of the training period and are free to secure employment elsewhere in the same field.
The internship program we offer is a fixed period of time (which will be communicated to the intern prior to the internship) and not connected with any offer of employment or promise of a permanent position at the conclusion of the internship.
- All interns or students will be notified, in writing, that they will not receive any wages for such training and are not considered employees during the internship.
- Any clinical training is performed under the supervision and direction of individuals knowledgeable and experienced in the activities being performed.
- Interns do not receive employee benefits.
- The education and skills offered in our internship program will be useful and transferable to any employer in the field.
- Our screening process for the internship is not the same as for an employment position.
It requests specific criteria relevant for admission to an independent educational program.
- Our interns will be participating in an excellent, instructional program. While participation in the program offers no definitive employment at the conclusion of the internship, Heart and Health, PLLC may consider qualified graduates of the internship for employment if hiring at that time.
- At the end of the internship, interns are evaluated at their exit interview and receive positive feedback on how to improve their skills & future goals.
- Upon completion of the internship, interns will be given a certificate of completion at Heart & Health and use it for their experience on their resume. They may also request a letter of recommendation from Heart & Health to improve their job search chances or towards furthering their medical education.
- Our internship program is a voluntary internship program and Heart & Health reserves the right to terminate the internship at any given time for any reason or no reason at all.
- Our goal is to provide valuable educational experience to our interns, and in the process help the interns find their true goal and achieve their optimal potential in their career.